Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Biggie Ups...Respek

1. Congratulations to Danielle and Edwin on their recent engagement. While it worries me when my friends begin to make "big-boy and big-girl" decisions, I can't help but be extremely happy for their abilities to make those decisions. I, on the other hand, can barely take care of myself, so marriage would only be feasible if a nice lady offered to take care of me for the rest of our lives.

2. Belated wishes to Gerald, who in less than 2 months' time will be donning a goofy white hat and learning skills that will allow him to live out his dream of working in the culinary arts. Not only that, he will become a fellow alumnus of the great Bobby Flay (sorry, G, I know you're not a fan). Personally, I can't wait till he begins testing his creations on us, and then I can't wait to be a special guest at his many restaurants of the future. I'll feel like Tony Soprano to his Artie Bucco. (Side note: I can't wait till March - Season 6!)



3. So, I am printing out an article for class, and I do a double-take when I notice that one of the authors is Bianca K. Frogner. Kudos to Bianca for her fine work in public health. Here's a link to an article she published titled "Health Spending In The United States And The Rest Of The Industrialized World". Without a subscription, you can't read more than just the abstract, but ask me if you want to read it. Who knew that the incoming freshman I met on Move-In Day '97 would now be a doctoral candidate at the #1 public health program in the nation, not only churning out scholarly academic work but also dispensing invaluable snowboarding instruction.

4. Hurray for Jerome Bettis, a.k.a. "The Bus", a.k.a. "Bussie", for returning to his hometown of Detroit to play in the Super Bowl on Sunday, February 5th. Last year, after the Steelers went 15-1 only to lose the AFC Championship at home against the eventual champions, the Patriots, everyone on the team was understandably distraught. However, what many do not realize is that so much of their hurt stemmed from the fact that they had wanted to deliver "The Bus" to the Super Bowl but failed to do so. With Bettis contemplating retirement, the Steelers thought that they had missed their last chance, but now, the team has a golden opportunity to win one for their mentor and idol.



5. Finally, thanks to the SoHo Apple store for helping me resolve my iPod issue. After declaring the thing dead, my to-be-unnamed (for protection of the innocent) allowed me to replace my iPod with a new (or perhaps used or refurbished) one for $60. Though considerably bulkier than the trendy Nano, I could not justify passing up the opportunity to pay $190 less for 11 more GB of storage space. Once again, the music is in me. And for those of you too young to know what a 3rd generation iPod looks like, feast your eyes on a veritable dinosaur:

3 Comments:

Blogger Gerald San Jose said...

Thanks Francis. BTW - that goofy white hat is called a toque. Maybe I'll have a different opinion of Bobby Flay after the program is over. Then again, maybe not.

I thought I was one of the only people with the 3G Ipod. Thats cool you got a huge discount on a refurbed one.

January 25, 2006 2:57 PM  
Blogger F said...

the guy at the brea store in oc said it was $60 but could take awhile depending if they could get more 3G's in stock. so i waited till i got back here only to find out that the $60 price is if the iPod is still functional. otherwise, it's $249. but, the dude hooked me up, maybe he got it to work for a split second. otherwise, i would have had to look into 30GB video iPod. at $50 bucks more, it'd be stupid to get another 3G with half the capacity.

January 25, 2006 6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, will you get a RSS feed on this blog so I can actually read it?

Blogspot is blocked in China. RSS! RSS! Mike Wu has one. You can, too!

January 27, 2006 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home