Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Get down girl, go 'head get down!

On Tuesday evening at the Nokia Theatre, 1600 proud American Express Card members and friends of AmEx members got to see a free, promotional show headlined by none other than Chi-Town's finest, Kanye West. When I first heard of this show, I admit that I was rather skeptical. Images of a room full of suits throwing up diamonds at the feet of Mr. West danced through my head as I entered the venue. After a lengthy set by DJ AM (a.k.a. Nicole Richie's ex-boyfriend), the crowd began to get ansy.

Then, the velvet curtains parted to showcase two backup singers, a cellist, 3 violinists, and the turntables of DJ A-Trak. Marching onto the stage with his trademark shades, black button-down shirt, white slacks, and thick gold chain, Kanye then proceeded to rip through a rousing "Diamonds From Sierra Leone". And then I knew. This was no half-assed, gimmicky show. Kanye, ever the consummate performer, was ready to tear it up, all the more effectively thanks to the scratching of DJ A-Trak and the string ensemble behind him. The crowd went wild for College Dropout's "The New Workout Plan", "We Don't Care", and "All Falls Down".

During an instrumental interlude, which included snippets of The Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony", a grand piano was wheeled out onto the stage in the dark. The man seated at the ivories? John Legend. A cameo? Oh, hell yeah. 3 songs later, the crowd is even more amped. That's when things started getting crazy. As the familiar intro to "Get 'Em High" started off, onto the stage bounces Common. This is not just a show anymore...it's an all-star jam. Common even busts out "The Light", his classic track from back in the day when I was young (I'm not a kid anymore. I kinda wish I was a kid again. And yes, I know that's a different song).

The crowd is real live, and over the speakers croons Ray Charles. "I got a woman...way over town, that's good to me." You know where I'm going with this. Even Kanye reminds the white people in the crowd that this is their one chance to say...oh, you know ("But she ain't messin' with no broke...what!). Good times all around.

In a little bit, Kanye slows the proceedings down, and in classic fashion, takes the time to remind everyone of some of the numerous beats he's put together over the years...When I move, you move...H to the Izzo...and don't forget to Drop It Like It's Hot. And that's when Snoop rolled into the joint, right? Nah, I'm just kidding, no Snoop. Oh, but that's when Pharrell did strut into the room, camo jacket and baseball cap tipped to the side. Like I said: All-Star Jam (with capital letters now), a bonafide Party. A little bit of "Frontin'" and a little bit of "Number 1" later, what was there left to do? Ahh, yes: Praise Jesus on high, get on a Spaceship and fly, and last but not least Touch the Sky.

Hopefully, pics and a video to come. I'm out. Oh yeah, and sign up for American Express.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty awesome clip in your last post.

Dude, what's up with no comment on my song? Let me know what u think, man! It's on my 2nd to last blog entry.

Maybe you should start or contribute to a new band music review site. Seriously, man - it's clear that this is one of your passions.

October 02, 2006 12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home